Tuesday, June 4, 2013

10th Street - Building is gone



At highway 70 and 10th street headed south into St. Louis, there was a building that sat slightly above and to the west of the highway.  I don't know what the building originally was, as there were no markings on the outside to designate it's function or who built it or owned it.  I spent a year waiting for someone to tear open some plywood or open a door and leave it hanging and finally in 2010 I got my opportunity.

The inside of the building was pretty cool but it wasn't interesting enough anywhere to take many photographs so I didn't spend long in there, maybe an hour.  I took this picture in the bathroom as I always love these sorts of signs depicting the life of the structure before being abandoned.  The irony in safety signs or cleanliness warnings in a building that obviously has far bigger problems to worry about amuses me greatly.

In any case, this building was demolished not much later after that to make way for a new bridge crossing the Mississippi river, just north of downtown.  It's sad that these old buildings have to be demolished in the name of progress but in the case of this particular one, I think it is better off as a road.  The place was really unusable by the time I had gotten inside of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment