Monday, June 17, 2013

In the Hall of the Mountain King

Every time I look at this photograph I think of the musical composition "In the Hall of the Mountain King".  While I don't think the music matches the mood of my photograph, the name of it certainly does which is why that is its title.

I first saw this building a few years ago, when I began my #urbex sojourns and wondered what it was like inside.  I kept finding other places to explore and being distracted from going to this particular building so it eventually fell off of my radar.  Eventually, after three years or so, I saw it again on my drive around the city and swung past to check it out.  The outside of the building is overgrown with vegetation and has lost a fair bit of its glass from the windows but all in all it is still a very sturdy building.

I went in a week later and was awed by the sheer amount of junk that had been left in the building.  I have found no end of bizarre things in this space; broken widescreen televisions (a dozen of them or so), a recliner, thirty or forty highway patrolman uniforms from Illinois, cases of abandoned soda, piles of papers of course, plastics used in forms and even a fully intact cat skeleton  (that was taken by a model of mine and turned into a mobile...don't ask).

This was one of the first photographs I took that day entering into the building.  The thing is, this is the middle of the building, not even the front.  That's a good eighty feet behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment